Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Week 3 EOC: My Demographic

"Millennials. Both the baby boomers and Gen Xers will one day be passing the reins to the Millennials (also called Generation Y or the echo boomers). Born between 1977 and 2000, these children of the baby boomers number 83 million, dwarfing the Gen Xers and larger even than the baby boomer segment. This group includes several age cohorts: tweens (aged 9–12), teens (13–18), and young adults (19–32). With total purchasing power of more than $733 billion, the Millennials make up a huge and attractive market. One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology. They don’t just embrace technology, it’s a way of life. The Millennials were the first generation to grow up in a world filled with computers, cellphones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks. A recent study found that 91 percent of Millennials are on the Web, making up 32 percent of all U.S. Internet users. According to another study, 77 percent of Millennials frequent social networking sites and 71 percent use instant messaging. “All generations are comfortable with technology, but this is the generation that’s been formed by technology,” says a Yahoo! executive. For them, “it’s not something separate. It’s just something they do. (page 17)"



I never would have thought that I would grow up in the digital age. I would watch movies about cell phones, flying cars (which I would still like to see), video phones, and other digital devices. My parents who were born in the baby boom generation told me that he never thought all the technology we have now didn't think it would ever happen. I think it's kinda cool to say that I grew up in the birth of the digital age, where it all began. My parents would ramble on how lucky I am to be living in this lifetime because a lot of the things that I have now, they didn't have back then. Except for colored televisions, telephones, and air-conditioned cars. Before the internet became a way of life, I had to go to the local public library to do a research project. Sometimes a specific book I need wouldn't be available, and I would have to wait until the book is returned for like another 2 weeks. Now when I need a specific piece of information, I can just look it up on my blackberry or on my laptop within seconds. The best part about it is free unlimited information. Another best thing about living in this generation, are that people are free to be themselves. Of course there will always be cruel judgment. Gays and lesbians no longer have to hide their sexuality. We don’t always have to dress the same as people did in the 1950’s or like in “I Love Lucy.” There are more independent working women. I think my generation was the birth of change for the good. Racism is not tolerated even though there are many that are. In classrooms there are so many diverse students with parents from different countries. “Freedom never goes out of style.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment